Nottingham and Nottinghamshire ICB
What is personalised care?
Understanding ‘what matters to you’ is central to personalised care. Choice plays a big factor in everyday life, and it should be no different when it comes to decisions about the care you receive for your physical or mental health.
Personalised care represents a major practical change to the NHS and is a key driver of the NHS Long Term Plan. It is a whole system approach that will allow a number of services across health, social care, public health and community to be linked together around you.
It is important to make these changes because a one-size-fits-all health and care system simply cannot meet the increasing complexity of people’s needs.
The aim is to deliver better outcomes and experiences to you.
Our Vision for Personalised Care is…
To maximise independence, choice, control, good health, and wellbeing throughout people’s lives, focussing on what matters to you.
Imagine a world where you…
- are the most important person in your health and care.
- are not just seen as a condition or on a pathway but as a person with different experiences and strengths.
- only have to tell your story once and the focus of the conversation is what matters to you and what’s important to you, not what’s wrong with you.
- have support to build your knowledge, confidence, and skills to look after your health and wellbeing, tailored only to you.
- can make a shared and informed decision about your health and care options with doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals (HCPs) who see you as an equal and active partner in your life and care.
The NHS Long Term Plan and Personalised Care
The NHS Long Term Plan states that people will get more control over their own health, and more personalised care when they need it. The NHS has developed a comprehensive model of personalised care. It says that people will access personalised care through six key components which are:
- Patient choice.
- Choosing the right treatment for you through shared decision making.
- Supported self-management and self-care.
- Social prescribing and community-based support.
- Personalised care and support planning.
- Personal health budgets and integrated personal budgets.
What are the key organisations that make up the NHS? And how can they collaborate with partners in the health and care system to deliver joined-up and personalised care? Watch the Kings Fund animation to find out.
My Life choices is a group of people with lived experience who work together within health and care pathways to improve services for all. We are a ‘co-production in action’ group which means we work in partnership, sharing power between people who use health and care services, carers and their families. Join My Life Choices and be heard, help us to make change happen by adding your voice to ours, make friends and meet like-minded people. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Find out more
Please explore our personalised care pages to find out what to expect from health and care across Nottingham and Nottinghamshire which puts YOU at the centre of YOUR care and support.